Dr. Robert Crilley

Sunday, September 23, 2007

A friend of mine who serves a congregation in downtown Philadelphia shared this story with me recently, and I thought it worth passing along to all of you.

In his church, on the fifth Sunday of every month, they collect a special hunger offering. It is during the singing of the final hymn, and those who wish to contribute are invited to come forward and place their offerings in a basket on the communion table. They take half of the money and send it off to various global mision programs for hunger relief, and the other half they give to local agencies to feed people right there in the heart of Philadelphia.

They have been doing this for about ten years, and according to my friend, the offerings are always a huge success. Last year alone they raised close to $50,000! “We are very proud of this offering,” he told me—and rightfully so.

However, one Sunday during the taking of that offering, as the final hymn was being sung and the people were streaming forward, a woman nobody knew began to move quietly down the center aisle. From the way that she was dressed, it was quickly apparent to the congregation that she had either spent the night out on the streets or in one of the homeless shelters.

People started whispering to one another, “This is the kind of person we’re taking the offering for. Is she really going to make an offering herself?”

Indeed, she did. When she got to the table, she stopped and made the best offering of all. She folded her hands and she prayed.

My friend told me that, in a sense, it was a wake up call for the congregation, because it helped to remind them that they weren’t just collecting money for the hungry. They were making an offering to God. In effect, they were giving their loaves and fishes to the Master, who would then multiply their gifts in miraculous ways.

After all, it’s not what we do that is important … it’s what God can do through us!

2 Comments:

  • Bob,
    I read your blog earlier tonight and left no comment as I do some times.
    Just now however somehow I was reminded of something i did over 10 years ago here at FPC-GV.
    I have never shared it with anyone even though I have become an active member here. I hadn't even really remembered it for quite sometime. Somehow this blog made me realize I should share it. It is the right time in the life of our congregation.
    I was at a point of deep personal crisis in my life & needed a quite place out of the chaos to sit and rest. I would come and sit in the santuary for 20 or 30 minutes and just rest. I was not a member, I did not even really attend at the time, but the santuary was open. I was not Presbyterian. It would be a weekday, I would not speak to anyone or be spoken to by anyone. Sometimes I would take a hymnal and find a hymn I knew from my childhood. Sometimes I would take a bible and find a passage that spoke to me. Mostly I'd just sit and rest. One day I went to one of the Grapevine Lake parks and picked a handful of Texas wildflowers , bluebonnets & Indian Paint brush, some of those pretty pink ones. I put them in a small Mason jar & brought them with me that day. I left them on the communion table as my offering that day. I have no idea who besides God ever saw my offering of so long ago now or what they thought or did with them. I realize now that I was no different than that woman who came to the altar and prayered in your blog, those flowers were what I had to offer then, except it took years and years for me to let anyone know I was even there. It is important that we leave our doors and hearts open for those who need to rest in God's presence. I'm not quite brave or open enough to finish this story,
    the details are so specific many in this congregation would know it was me. May be some day I'll be braver or more open, but rest assured that God has used the fact that a door was left open for me. It may have saved my life to have had an open door. God can do amazing things with a simple open door.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 AM  

  • Anonymous--

    Thank God for the open door!! I too, from time to time, have visited the sanctuary to sit for awhile, pray, just to be alone with God. Usually when there are so many voices in my head, so many things crowded in, that I just want to try to find that quiet place. I pray for awhile. Then sometimes I just look at that cross and soak in the silence.

    Blessings

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home